PDA

View Full Version : Transfering inspections to Phone 3D / Android

strandr
01-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Do I have to use the cloud to transfer my inspections? I have an Acer 7" tablet running Android Honeycomb but it does not have a sim card or cell data plan. I just want to transfer my inspections back and forth between my PC and tablet in the office over wifi or even a usb cable is fine.

Donna
01-30-2012, 11:48 AM
Yes, just use your office wifi. Most inspectors load up their device with the days' reports before heading out, and then send them back when they return. They way they never have to bother with using a data plan or any minutes.

strandr
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Thanks Donna. Just to clarify...

There is no way to transfer an inspection file directly from my PC to my Android device without going through the cloud?

Donna
02-01-2012, 01:43 PM
Nope, there's not even a standardized way such devices connect to main computers. So everything for the 3D app just goes through cloud servers, with a simple logon.

John Koch
02-12-2012, 12:02 PM
I'm shopping for a droid based tablet, and it seems that the Sony tablet s has a memory card slot. C-net gave this tablet high marks...

I want to be able to transfer files from a tablet to my laptop in the field, actually in my truck between jobs. This way I can complete the job before returning to my office.

Do you know if the memory card could be used to transfer the report file without a wifi connection.

Also, the acer tablet has a quad core operating system. Is that better than the Sony?

Thanks,

John

Donna
02-13-2012, 03:20 PM
No the memory card won't do Phone3D transfers like you are imagining. If your laptop has wifi, you might use a nearby wifi hotspot, such as at a local coffee shop or fast food place that offers it, in between inspections if you want to work on any finalization between jobs.

If your laptop doesn't have wifi, you might look at getting an internet aircard for it. Probably your regular phone carrier has something like that available for use with regular laptops. You might see if you could use an aircard for your laptop to create a wifi hotspot for your tablet, if your tablet and/or appropriate aircard has that ability, so both could then connect to transfer a file. With Windows Phone 7 devices, you can use a USB connection to use your laptop's connection to access the cloud. However Android devices don't have that option and would probably need their own connections, unless yours specifically can "tether" in one direction or another (some manufacturers or carriers don't allow this)

wmurray
02-17-2012, 12:57 PM
How do I sey up 3D Cloud so I can transfer reports back and forth from ny computer(s) and my Galaxy Tablet

Donna
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Basically you sign up for cloud3D services. Once you've gotten your email confirmation that it's been activated for you, just use the steps on the phone3D page on the 3D website (or getting started in your HelpDesk) to send and retrieve reports. You just use a simple login- usually your email address and private password you set up- to transfer files to/from the cloud and devices. It's really easy.

lrramey
02-29-2012, 02:30 PM
So Donna,
I have created a pocket 3d "test " inspection but it is not showing up on my windows phone, which is connected via wifi at the office.
I tried the same with the connected line (usb)

Donna
03-01-2012, 04:51 PM
If you are still having any issue with this, please send a ticket to tech support. I presume you are using your login on the phone to access the list of reports you sent to the cloud and retrieve them?