PDA

View Full Version : Cloud3D

dboggs
02-13-2012, 11:58 PM
I have been using 3d software for eight years now and love it but I'm looking to hire my first inspector who will be out of my area. And I'm just starting to do research on the cloud I like the size of a android tablet and correct me if I'm wrong but you down load the report from the cloud do the report and up loud it. Before you upload it can you insert pictures from your camera per USB port ? or do you have to wait til back at your desk top ? If you could do it between inspections and finish the report that would be great. Thanks the new guy

Donna
02-14-2012, 12:12 PM
In Phone3D you'd normally just take all your pictures directly into the mobile report right on the device itself, using the camera built right into the device, so the report is virtually complete before it is sent back. Inspectors tell us they LOVE that ability.

Check out the recent tips article on the main 3D website under User Community about using Phone3D/Cloud with multiple inspectors. It's a great way to set them up.

dboggs
02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
Inspectors take the phone into the crawlspace it seems you could damage it very easily ?

Donna
02-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Most of the newer devices all use gorrilla glass these days, so they are pretty tough, but you can always double-check the specs on a specific model. Plus there's lots of case accessories as well available to protect devices in various ways.

Of course it may be easier, especially if a crawl is real tight, to just make your observations and complete them after exiting. But having a nice small handy camera available could be useful, so it might be nice to your device/phone handy in a pocket, tethered, etc. so it's accessible should you decide to use it while you're in there.

What are you other guys out there doing?

dboggs
02-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Donna, I my area it seems most guys do this use a clip board and take notes and pictures when doing the inspection and take a small camera into the crawlspace. Right now I carry a old tablet make notes in it as I do the inspection and take a camera with me into the crawlspace then down load all the pictures by using a USB port. But is is very easy to damage a camera and have several times a year.

This is why I would like to buy a faster tablet with a USB port. And would like to start using the cloud system.

1. From what I'm reading a windows 7 tablet is best one. One of my concerns is if I send the report to a inspector using the cloud system can, I review his report by doing a go to meeting and take over his screen before we send the report out ?

2. What is the best source for reviewing tablets ?

3. I use ISN booking system from the cloud can a inspector download the report into a link and attachment to send the report out or does it have to go back to the main computer ?

Thanks Dwayne

Donna
02-28-2012, 02:20 PM
1. A Windows 7 tablet is a regular windows running computer that would run the full 3D software, not the cloud-based Phone3D app. Since they run regular PC programs, they are also usually more expensive and a bit heavier than the cloud-based type tablets like Android. Not sure what your 2nd question is asking, but if you were using Windows 7, then you could do everything on it that you can do on a regular PC computer. Hope that answers your question.

2. The word "tablet" has gotten fuzzier in meaning in the last couple years. The original was the Tablet PC, like Windows 7 would be, which for all intents and purposes is a regular computer, just smaller, more portable, and with touch-screen operation. In the last couple years though, "tablet" now also refers to various small computers primarily designed for "consuming" content (like Android, ipad, playbooks, etc.) The latter are not usually designed for producing content or business productivity, but more for entertainment in general. However there are some apps that can be used on some such devices to collect/product data. Once you know what type of device you want, I'd say check online reviews for any particular model you are looking at, or talk to people actually using them.

3. Don't know what booking system you use, but if you're asking about inspection delivery, you'd create the final inspection for delivery from the main 3D program, whether running on a regular windows 7 tablet or a main computer.

dboggs
03-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Donna, Per your last reply

but if you're asking about inspection delivery, you'd create the final inspection for delivery from the main 3D program, whether running on a regular windows 7 tablet or a main computer.

This being said if you are on vacation and have other inspectors working for you and they are using the cloud then what do you do have a laptop with you and run to a hot spot to get the reports out ? Are put someone in charge at home base and hope things work out while you try to enjoy your vacation camping hiking etc.
Just trying to cover all the bases. Dwayne

Donna
03-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Absolutely- you could provide access to the laptop/main computer for the inspector to use to download, complete, and deliver the reports while you are gone. They could use their sub-account login for that, so they still would never have a way to activate any new regular computers for side use later without your master password info.