PDA

View Full Version : Print to PDF w/ Pocket PC?

Rick Hartmann
04-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Is the technology there yet? Can a report be generated on a PDA, complete w/ pics and printed to a PDF and e-mailed from the PDA?

Donna
04-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Windows Mobile doesn't use the same standard printer interface like regular Windows does, so regular drivers don't work with it.

If you want to deliver PDFs onsite, your best bet is to take a laptop with you. That way you can sync your pocket report to your laptop, which in turn can produce a PDF. Some inspectors burn the PDF onto a CD to give to the clients onsite, whereas others email. (to email on-site you'd also of course need internet connectivity)

Of course, if you're going to email, you could also just wait until you return to the office and create and email your PDF then from your final report. No laptop needed to do that, but the end result is the same.

Rick Hartmann
05-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Well, it's been a year now and I'm still waiting to purchase a PDA. My hope, is to produce the report and e-mail a .pdf file from the site via my PDA. Any hopes yet?

Donna
06-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Microsoft has made little change in their latest Windows Mobile OS.
However, you can still create a PDF onsite using the info above. Or alternatively, you might consider one of the very small tablet computers or UMPC that runs regular windows and therefore can produce PDFs directly.