PDA

View Full Version : Building Summary in Pocket 3D

JRB001
04-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Has anyone had trouble building the summary in Pocket PC. I have followed the instructions exactly as described in the help section. I created a summary document using the summary template, I've successfully exported to my pocket PC. The file is in the same folder as my form sets. When I try to build the summary so that I can print, nothing happens. I'm stumped and FRUSTRATED! Am I missing a step? Thanks

Donna
04-30-2007, 10:55 AM
If you use the original summary template with your main program, does it work to merge in summary items?
In other words, is there a summary merge field present in the doc?

JRB001
04-30-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, when I attach the summary to the report on my main computer, all summary items merges w/o a problem. For some reason when I try to build a summary in pocket PC with the same template used in the main program it doesn't work.

Donna
05-01-2007, 11:39 AM
OK, then did you mark any items for summary in Pocket3D? In other words, on your device if you choose View > Preview Summary Items > xx
do you have items listed?

JRB001
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Yes, I can preview summary items in pocket 3D. It just won't let me build summary for printing purposes.

Donna
05-01-2007, 03:40 PM
So if you open File Explorer on your unit, open My Documents, and open the P3Dsum.txt file directy, what info is in it?

It should have your document text and summary merge field that you sent to your unit from your master template when you created that file.

JRB001
05-02-2007, 09:34 AM
Yes, All the info is there, just like from the main program. I still can't build Summary.

JRB001
05-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Maybe I am missing something. Here is a copy of the P3Dsum file on my pocket PC:

[RPT:Date of Inspection]
[RPT:Inspection Location]

This on site summary report reflects the visual conditions of the property at the time of the inspection only. Hidden or concealed defects cannot be included in this report. No warranty is either expressed or implied. This report is not an insurance policy, nor a warranty service.

This summary is not meant to be all inclusive. The full inspection report contains the full account of our findings and some items not mentioned in this summary may be included in the final report. Please refer to the full report and understand that there may be many items which you feel are major to you that did not get merged into this summary list. This document is meant to be an aid only and not a comprehensive summary.

It is recommended that the buyer ascertain the following information from the seller:
1) History of water penetration in basement and/or crawlspace?
2) If the dwelling is on public or private sewage system?
3) If the dwelling has ever been tested for radon gas?
4) If the dwelling has ever been inspected for insect infestation?
5) If the dwelling has been previously inspected by a Home Inspector, and if the seller is willing to disclose such report?
6) If there is an underground storage tank on the property?

REPORT SUMMARY

The following items should be addressed:

[SUM1]

Each of these items will likely require further evaluation, repair, and even replacement by licensed tradespeople. Obtain competitive estimates for these items. Please understand that many minor items are also noted in this summary and in the full report and should receive attention. It should be understood that it is not the responsibility of this inspection firm to determine which items should be negotiated for repair.

The following items were not inspected:

[SUM2]

Thank you for selecting our firm to do your home inspection. If you have any questions regarding the inspection report or the home, please feel free to call us.

Sincerely,

Home Inspector

Donna
05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
When I try to build the summary so that I can print, nothing happens.

When you click File > Build Summary, it should open up the Edit Summary window withthe Clear, OK, and Cancel buttons. You're saying it does absolutely nothing at all? You remain on your report screen?

JRB001
05-02-2007, 03:45 PM
When I Click build Summary it doesn't build anything. It brings me to that screen with clear ok cancel The screen is always blank. (ie nothing to print).

Donna
05-03-2007, 01:30 PM
If you're getting an empty screen, then that means it's not finding the P3DSum.txt file on your unit. Are you sure the file is in the Documents folder? And does it have the .txt file extension?

JRB001
05-03-2007, 08:00 PM
Yes, It is in the same folder as my forms, and saved inspections. I've even tried to reinstall the software. Still no luck.

JRB001
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
I finally got it to work. It seems that the P3DSUM.txt file has to be in the template folder inside the document folder in order for it to build the summary. I had it in a folder with all my forms and saved reports.

Donna
05-04-2007, 09:40 AM
Weird. Did you perhaps save your reports into the Templates folder?
What type of unit are you using, and what version of Windows Mobile?

Glad to hear it's now working finally. At this point, I wouldn't touch it further- you know, if it ain't broke...

JRB001
05-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I'm using a Dell Axim51V with windows mobile 5.0. I did originally save the
P3dsum.txt file in the same folder I keep my forms and saved reports. That obviously didn't work so I made a copy of the file and started copying it to other folders in my sync file until I got it to work which was when it was placed in a file called "Templates".
I agree that it is weird and I am keeping file where it is, just happy it is now working. thanks

Donna
05-07-2007, 08:52 AM
That is strange. Thanks for letting me know the unit, in case it's something specific to that unit, it may be helpful if anyone else runs into that. Dell announced earlier this year they are getting out of Pocket PC manufacturing and so won't be making any more Axims. (too bad- great priced units!) But of course will continue to support new models already purchased for 3 years.