PDA

View Full Version : Windows Mobile 2003 vs Windows Mobile 5

Cedar Hill Inspect
11-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I see some newer pocket pcs are loaded with Windows Mobile 5 and older models Windows Mobile 2003.

Will The Pocket 3D software work on either version?

Thanks.

Donna
11-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Yep! Either Windows Mobile version runs fine with Pocket3D. You will want a Windows Mobile type unit however, to stay compatible with future updates of Pocket3D. (stay away from the old Pocket PCs before Windows Mobile)

If you use really large forms, you may want to get a unit with at least 64 MB RAM. As a user pointed out, it seems that many of the newer Windows Mobile 2005 units apparently pre-load a lot of programs they believe will be useful, so that takes up some of the running memory available. See http://blogs.msdn.com/windowsmobile/archive/2005/11/17/494177.aspx

It seems most typical WM5 devices have 64M of RAM, but a few are out there that only come with 32M of RAM, which might be a bit tight if you have fairly large forms, with everything already pre-loaded taking up a big portion of the available RAM

Cedar Hill Inspect
11-10-2006, 02:25 PM
Thanks. I just wanted to make sure. I am some what of a geek so I will always look for more memory... There is never too much!