PDA

View Full Version : Infrared printing

Robert E Lee
10-08-2008, 05:41 PM
I have been using infrared from my iPAQ Pocket PC to an HP 450 portable printer to print a summary on site for several years now. Due to continuing problems with paper jams on the HP 450 I purchased a Canon iP90 portable printer as it will accept infrared. However I am not having any luck getting it to respond when doing the infrared from the iPAQ. When I check the available printers on the "Start Print" page I find a Canon BJ (360dpi) and a Canon BJ (300dpi) listed, but the iP90 does not respond when using either of these settings. Is there an updated list of infrared printers when using the print feature of the Pocket PC?

Robert E Lee
GENERAL Home Inspections, Inc

Robert E Lee
10-10-2008, 06:47 AM
Update, I found that after loading the software that came with the printer and connecting it to my computer I am able to communicate with the the printer from the iPAQ (using the canon BJ 300 dpi setting), however all of the printing takes place in an area of about 2"x3" in the upper left corner of the page. Do the tech folks have the Canon iP90 printer listed as being compatible with the iPAQ software?

Robert E Lee

Donna
10-10-2008, 10:23 AM
The i70 printer uses the Canon BJ 300 driver. I believe the IP90 is in a similar family, so that would be driver most likely to work. If you find the margins are off or not working exactly, you might try adjusting the Paper Dimensions or More Settings items to try to work around it. Sorry I don't have any better advice.

Because of the nature of Windows Mobile devices and the limited operating system ability, Pocket PC printing options have always been somewhat limited and there is also no "standard" printer interface that can just work like regular windows has. For these reasons and others, we find that most inspectors either wait and convert their pocket reports into a regular computer or laptop for printing or emailing there (where there are a lot more print and formatting options). Others use a Tablet PC in the field instead, since that runs regular windows with all the normal printing options. PDF delivery on CD or via email has become really popular as well since that avoids the added expense of ink and problems with printer hardware in cold or dusty conditions.
----------
Regarding direct printing from Pocket3D, this info is from our older forums--

When using Pocket3D, there are two options for on-site printing of reports and summaries:
1) One can convert the pocket report to a laptop, then printing directly from the regular version of 3D to a printer of your choice. Since regular windows interfaces with standard windows printer drivers, you can use the printer of your choice. Also, all print format and layout options available in the regular version of 3D can be used.

2) One can install and use the Printing version of Pocket3D to print directly from their Pocket PC with no regular windows computer required on-site. Pocket PC does not have regular windows printing features, so print options, format, and compatible printers are more limited. You also must make sure your Pocket PC can communicate with your portable printer. Usually this is done via USB or infrared for a wireless connection. If your Pocket PC or printer does not have USB or IR, you may be able to obtain special adapters to add the functionality.

FOR OPTION 2:
3D obtains the printing feature and drivers used in the Printing version of Pocket3D from a third-party company. We do not build or control the drivers themselves. The following lists printers supported according to the driver manufacturer, along with the printer selection in Pocket3D that should be used. However, please note that have not tested or used them all. Please feel free to post your experiences using Pocket3D with the various printers in this topic for the benefit of others.

HP – Note: The HP Deskjet 995C and 450cbi printers seem to be inspector favorites. We also found the 995C seems to work well with both the Bluetooth and IR options.

HP Deskjet 995C w/built-in Bluetooth, Infrared & USB = Use "HP PCL" printer selection
HP Deskjet 450cbi w/ Infrared and optional Bluetooth = Use "HP PCL" printer selection
HP Deskjet 350cbi (optional infrared) = Use "HP PCL" printer selection

Most HP DeskJets (PCL3 compatible) = Use "HP PCL" printer selection. NOTE: HP PhotoSmart 1000 & 1100 series printers use a non-standard Infrared port which does not work with the printing software. Per the driver company, Infrared-equipped PhotoSmart 12xx and later series are supposed to work fine however.

Most HP LaserJets (PCL3 compatible) = Use "HP PCL" printer selection and set Color/Mono to Monochrome if not color.

CANON - Note: We have not had much good feedback from various users trying to use portable Canon printers. In particular, users have reported various printing and other issues with the Canon i70.

Canon i70 = Use "Canon BJ (300dpi)" printer selection.
Canon BJC-80/85 = Use "Canon BJ (360dpi)" printer selection
Canon BJC-50/55 + most Canon BubbleJet printers. = Use "Canon BJ (360dpi)" printer selection

EPSON

Epson Stylus = Use “Epson Stylus” printer selection
Epson ESC/P2 = Use “Epson ESC/P 2” printer selection
Epson 24-pin LQ compatible printers = Use “Generic 24pin” printer selection
Other Epson = Note: Epson C84, C82, C80 and C64 NOT supported

PENTAX – Note: Pentax printers are thermal based printers, which need special thermal paper and typically feed one page at a time. This may not be particularly ideal for printing on-site inspection reports.

Pentax PocketJet 200 (thermal) = Use “PocketJet200” printer selection
Pentax PocketJet II (thermal) = Use “PocketJet II” printer selection

BLUETOOTH OPTIONS:
The Bluetooth "Serial Port Profile" is used - which means that supported Bluetooth hardware and software connect to a Bluetooth-enabled printer using a serial port selection (COM1 - COM8). The driver manufacturer indicates that you should be able to print using any Pocket PC Bluetooth device that supports the "Serial Port Profile" using two basic steps: the Bluetooth manager software should allow you to "search" for available Bluetooth printers it can find. Then you will use the manager software to select the desired printer and assign it to a serial port. Finally, you need to determine which serial port should be used and then select that from the printing software's Select Printer screen.

NOTE- Per the driver company some of HP's newer low-priced DeskJet printers are NOT compatible with their HP support. If you go to HP's website (www.hp.com) and search for a particular printer, examine the "specifications" page for the printer - if it says the printer uses HP's PCL printer language, it will likely work fine. If it only uses "LIDIL" - (Lightweight Imaging Device Interface Language), it probably will not to work.