PDA

View Full Version : V 11 Very slow at saving report

Rob F
10-11-2008, 11:12 PM
I have noticed that opening / saving a reports on my Pocket PC w/V11 seems much slower than opening / saving a report on Pocket PC w/V10. It makes no difference if I file Save or X out of the program, its slow no matter how saved. I have a Dell Axim X30 with a 624 Mhz processor and sufficient open memory. Any ideas?

Donna
10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Yes, that is normal. Version 11 pocket forms now use a different structure to accommodate allowing headings and subheadings to be copied on the fly directly in Pocket3D itself. The change eliminated delays that used to happen while navigating between inspection items in the prior version while actually inspecting, when speed is most important, however loading and saving the overall report does take longer instead. However, with the new abilities to now just copy needed items on the fly, you may be able to reduce the size of your forms so they load and save a bit faster.

For instance, with the new copy capabilities, users can now eliminate quite a few replicated form items they may have duplicated in their master forms. For example, most users use a heading for a single bath area with subheadings for the different elements of that area. They might have previously set up 5-6 of these bath headings in their forms just in case they might happen to need that many, since it wasn't possible before to copy or add headings and subheadings on the fly in pocket. But now that headings can be copied, there's no need to try to anticipate the maximum number of items that might be needed. Rather, it's now much more efficient to just include the very minimum number of repeated elements and then simply copy them as needed while in the field. That will tend to reduce the size of forms as well as make it more efficient to navigate them while inspecting in the field. So if you find your pocket forms for that group are rather large, might may want to take a look at your form design to see if you might be able to shorten your forms and instead make use of these new features. That should certainly help them work more efficiently in general, and may also help saving go a bit faster.