PDA

View Full Version : Using a mini-laptop vs PDA

Emory
01-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Due to increasing age and decreasing vision, I have purchased a Dell Inspiron 10 to use with New Age Marine. Windows Mobile Center does not recongize the mini as a PDA device. I had planned to use the mini on board in the same fashion as a PDA. Has anyone tried this? If so, how did you do it? If not, would I be just as well off to use a full-blown 3D version on the mini? I really did not want to add a lot of programs to the Dell mini. Any advice would be appreciated.

Donna
01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
What operating system does the mini run?
If it runs regular windows, then you'd use the regular windows program.
If it runs Windows Mobile Pro, then you could use Pocket3D.
It all depends on the operating system of the device as to what it should run.

Emory
01-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi Donna and thanks for the response. Both computers are running Windows 7 OS.
I have loaded Windows Mobile Center on both units. What do you recommend I should do?

Donna
01-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Windows 7 is just a regular version of windows, so you'd just install the regular edition of 3D on it.

Emory
01-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks Donna. So what you are saying is that it is just as easy to load the full 3D on the mini laptop and work from the full program? I had thought that it I could use the mini in the same way I did the Dell Axim PDA. I will contact 3D and see if I can obtain another download for the mini or buy it if necessary. Thank you.

Donna
01-08-2010, 10:02 AM
If it ran Windows Mobile Pro, then you could use Pocket3D on it. If it runs regular windows, then you'd run the regular windows version. If the screen is small, you can always set it with Actions pane minimized or closed and can adjust other pane sizes for easier use.

The program EULA gives you the right to install the regular software on two computers that you use, since many inspectors do use a computer in the office and often a second field machine or backup machine. So if you only have the two regular windows computers, then you don't have to buy any additional licenses. If the mini is a third computer, then you could either remove it off one of your other two and put it on the mini, or get a 3rd license from sales. In any event, they also can give you the scoop.

Emory
01-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Thanks Donna. I have decided to purchase your latest version and load both devices (main laptop and the mini) with the full program. I discussed this with Mike and we both agreed that this is the best way to go.