PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft XPS document writer

jwagner
05-07-2010, 06:44 PM
I have been wondering about this print capability. I looked into the Help Desk and have been unable to find any information about printing an XPS document. I made an attempt to print a report just to see how it worked and I was only able to print the first page of the report. The print window remained open as if it were building the individual pages but after 10 minutes with no progress I canceled the print.
How can we utilize this and is there another way to print a report as an electronic file to an alternate format other than PDF?

Donna
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
If you have a problem with your Microsoft XPS driver not working right, that would probably be a question for Microsoft, since when printing directly to a driver 3D software doesn't control what any specific printer driver does or does not do. The 3D software simply sends the standard print information out using the standard Microsoft driver dialog, which in turn connects with the drivers. Each driver itself in turn then entirely handles the job at that point. Supposedly if you have Vista, then you are supposed to be able to print from any program to XPS if you want to using the native MS driver they include.

But I don't know why you'd want to send anything to XPS anyway, since it isn't a dynamic format and I believe it only natively opens in Windows Vista/7 or IE but isn't natively compatible with other versions of windows, operating systems, or browsers various clients of yours may use. So I don't think it see how it would confer any advantages at all to inspection reports- printing to PDF at least faithfully represents the printout on screen regardless of which operating system is used, and works everywhere. PDF is still the de facto standard for document portability.

That being said, if perhaps your goal is simply to get a report into a format that Office can use and open, then just preview and use Save > Word there to save out to Word format. That should be much more useful, and you could then do whatever you wanted in turn with the final report file in Word. Maybe Word would have better results printing to Microsoft's XPS driver, if that's what you really want to do.