3D Inspection Systems Forum  

Go Back   3D Inspection Systems Forum > General Discussion > Computer Hardware
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 04:43 PM
3D Guru

Default Known Android hardware device issues

Most mainstream Android devices running the same OS are somewhat similar, with application compatibility not usually a big problem. Although Phone3D *should* be able to run on devices with a compatible Android version, there is no way to 100% *guarantee* that it will work or work properly on every model device. This is because Android is open-source and may be modified by manufacturers, without enforced standards across devices. This results in device fragmentation or variation across hundreds of Android devices, and developers can’t account for all the variations, from screen size, resolution and Android version to RAM, processor and other hardware factors. Therefore it is always *possible* a particular model may not always work properly with all apps.

This thread will include information about any known or reported hardware/OS issues that may affect Phone3D on Android on specific models.

- Dell Streak 7 tablet
When upgraded to Honeycomb has display issues due to the devices unusual resolution. However, Dell Streak 7 running Froyo apparently works well. So we don't recommend updating that device. See https://www.3dinspection.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1188

- Samsung Droid Charge (SCH-i510), Android 2.2.1
As manufactured this model did not work with Phone3D because a standard Android library failed to work to allow login to access inspections.
However, users since report that an update made available to their device itself solved the issue so Phone3D now worked properly after the device update was installed. Two users report the updated working device indicates running Firmware version 2.3.6, Kernal Version 2.6.35.7-EP4

NOTE: Various e-reader models that do not have a camera or access to normal Android Market (e.g. Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Nobiles Nook) are not suitable for inspections and are not supported.

Last edited by Donna : 12-13-2011 at 11:02 AM. Reason: update on Charge model
Old 11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
3D Guru

Default Models known to run Phone3D okay

Specific Devices known to run Phone3D are listed here. Note there may be model variants for certain device series which may be slightly different, or some models may go by a different "name" on a different carrier.

If you use Phone3D on a device not yet listed below, we would appreciate you letting 3D Inspection Systems technical support know its model and Android version number, as reported in the device Settings > About Phone/Tablet information, and any feedback about how you like that particular device.

See also this article about choosing a device: http://www.3dinspection.com/Tips-and...bile-apps.html

[Please note that ALL Windows Phone 7 models are compatible with Phone3D, as that platform does not suffer fragmentation.]

Phone3D has been known to be used on these Android models. User feedback about a particular model may follow each listing.

TABLETS

Acer Iconia Tab A100, Android version 3.2 (7" size)
RL says "I have noticed, I will have a strong signal on the tablet.... Suddenly the connection strength drops to nothing and the error appears. Once the error appears the signal strength indication reapears as strong as before. I have changed tables (same make and model) but the problem is consistant on each." Note: We note other consumers reported similar connection issues, with some apparently having better results by switching the wifi from WPA/WPA2 to WEP, using a static IP, checking for a patch, etc.- http://www.bing.com/search?q=Acer+A100+wifi+connection+issues&src=ie9t r

Acer Iconia Tab A500, Android version 3.2 (10" size)
RJ says: "I highly recommend the Acer Iconia A500. The price and overall usefulness is great."

Asus Eee Pad Transformer TF101, Android version 3.2.1, also version 3.1.5
KR says "Having the photographs and ratings as I am performing the inspections has decreased the office portion of the process from 45 minutes per inspection (average) to 10 minutes or less! I would definitely recommend the android application to other inspectors!"

Asus Eee Pad Transformer Prime, Android version 4.0

Dell Streak 7, Android version 2.2.2. (NOTE- display issues occur on this model IF it is updated to Honeycomb)
CL says "If you get a Dell Streak 7 with Froyo do not upgrade to
Honeycomb" See https://www.3dinspection.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1188

Motorola XOOM

Sylvania SYTAB10ST 10"

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7510) Android version 3.1

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (GT-P1010), Android version 2.2.1

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 (GT1000), Android version 2.3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus (GT-P6210), Android version 3.2

Samsung Galaxy 7.0, Android 2.2
RM says "Small enough to hold in one hand and big enough to hit the key board keys accurately with finger tips.

Samsung Galaxy Player 5 / Galaxy S (YP-G70), Android 2.3.5
CL says "3D so far seems to run very well with great placement of all function "buttons". The player is designed as a MP3 player (overgrown iPod touch) with a battery life of approximately 10 hours and talk about light weight!!"
JC says he would recommend device to others

Toshiba Thrive Tablet (AT100), Android 3.2.1
WG says "I like it but it's big."
BR says "Like it very much, Yes, I would recommend it to others."

Vizio VTAB1008, Android 2.3.2
RM says "Available at Costco for $199.00. More difficult to hang to on with one hand [than my Galaxy 7"]... I am working on a tether whereby the tablet is suspended from my neck. Can walk around hands free to inspect and easily grab the tablet for onsite data collection with out the worry of the tablet dropping and hitting the floor. Have used similar tethering with a digital camera for years. It works well."

PHONES

Motorola DEFY (MB525), Android 2.2.1
JL says: "Yes I would highly recommend my phone. It is compact, dust and water proof and has a 5mp camera."

Motorola Droid Bionic, Android 2.3.4
GG says he would recommend it to others without a doubt.

Motorola Droid Razr, Android version 2.3.5
A user on Verizon network reported intermittent connection issues causing very slow downloads

Motorola Droid X, Android 2.2.1 and 2.3.3
LH says "I think the DroidX is great for a phone based report writer. A 7" tablet may be a little better option. To be able to view more of the report writer with less scrolling. GREAT JOB!!!!"

Motorola Droid2 Global, Android 2.2.3
RO says "Love the phone" RB says "I have started using my phone for 3D, I love it."

HTC Evo 4G

HTC G2 Touch (T-Mobile) / HTC Hero (Sprint), Android version 2.2

HTC Glacier (T-Mobile myTouch 4G), Android version 2.2.1

HTC Thunderbolt (ADR6400L)
TM says "If I hold the phone horizontally it is almost impossible to scroll unless the phone is held almost perfectly perpendicular to the floor. If I hold the phone vertically then it scrolls fine no matter if the phone is tilted or not." Also reported lowering the picture size in the phone cured a banding issue on final images.

Samsung Droid Charge (SCH-i510), ONLY with Firmware version 2.3.6, Kernal Version 2.6.35.7-EP4 update for device.
Device without firmware update does not work with Phone3D (see post #1 above).

Samsung Captivate Galaxy S (SGH i897), Android 2.2.
One user ran into an issue where OS occasionally exited report when inserting photo if camera MP was set high and RAM was too low. Solution was to lower camera MP. We were not able to reproduce that issue on this model, so situtation is likely related to specific device setup and other apps running.

Samsung Galaxy (SCH-800)
MB says "I love this Galaxy. Love doing inspections on it."

Samsung Galaxy 2 (unspecified model)
SC says "I used the windows phone... I have done 200+ inspections with it. When it died I changed to the Android Samsung Galaxy 2 (last week). I have done 3 inspections with the new phone. It is absolutely GREAT. I have always had exceptional comments from my clients and agents about the way my reports look and are laid out. I have even gotten several inspections because clients have seen a sample report on my website. Anyhow, so far I love it. It saves me time in writing the report."

Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Android version 4.0

Samsung Galaxy S II (SGH-i777), Android Version 2.3.4.
MM says: "Yes, I would recommend it to others. I will be showing it at my local inspector's group meeting this month."

Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket
RH says: "amazing"

Samsung Infuse (SGH-1997), Android Version 2
JC says: "Love it."

Last edited by Donna : 03-15-2012 at 10:27 AM. Reason: add models
Old 12-07-2011, 10:09 AM

I would like to add to the list:

Samsung Galaxy Player 5 running Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread. 3D so far seems to run very well with great placement of all function "buttons". The player is designed as a MP3 player (overgrown iPod touch) with a battery life of approximately 10 hours and talk about light weight!!

Chuck Lambert
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 AM
madisonbrock

I appreciated your post. Android ia really an open source we gain lots of advantages from these plateform.